Dan King is a WWII Pacific war historian who reads, writes and speaks Japanese. After earning his degree in Japanese language he spent 15 years working for Toyota, 10 years of which were in Japan which provided him a valuable and rare look into a world often closed to outsiders.
|Author Dan King in the cockpit of the world's only flying Zero with original engine. He interviewed several Japanese Zero pilots for his upcoming book. This particular Zero was found on Saipan in 1944, and later test flown by such aviation greats as Charles Lindbergh, Howard Hughes, and Greg "Pappy" Boyington. It is currently on display at the "Planes of Fame Air Museum" in Chino California.
After returning to the US he worked on several dozen movies and historical documentaries as a technical advisor, historical & language consultant and re-enactment coordinator. His passion for the subject of the war in the Pacific has led him to seek out over 250 Japanese WWII veterans and personally interview 97 of them, in their own language. He has also been interviewed on several radio programs and has spoken to hundreds of people about Japanese aviation. His 2nd book "The Last Zero Fighter" is available on Amazon and Kindle.
His original research with WWII Japanese Army & Navy veterans has inspired him to travel to the far-flung battlefields of the Pacific to study firsthand the localities in which the battles occurred giving him a unique boots-on-the-ground perspective. Learn more about his travels to Iwo Jima, Guam, Okinawa, Guadalcanal, Wake Island, Midway and others on the WWII page.
He is experienced in Japanese culture, translation & interpretation and is available for projects, meetings, and travel.
- Japanese-English Translation
- Cultural Consulting
- Historical Consulting
- Japanese Military Technical Consulting
- Voice over, ADR (SAG)
- SAG since 2001
- B.A., Japanese Language, Cal. State Univ. Los Angeles.
- Highest Language Certification Level I, Japanese Ministry of Education, Mombusho (read & write Japanese).
- Lived and worked in Nagoya Japan.
- Advisory Board, Iwo Jima Association of America (IJAA)
- Honorary Member of the USMC Raider Association.
- Honorary Member of the 1st Marine Division Association.
- Honorary Member of the USMC Wake Island Association.
- Member of the USMC Historical Company (non-profit).
- Active Member of "Banzai". (WWII Pacific war historians & miltitary collectors).